When it was built in 1866 the West Pier was 1115 feet long and made of cast iron columns threaded and screwed into the sea bed. It was then and still is a classic part of the Brighton and Hove landscape, and now the most photographed building in the city. It was originally made up of just a promenade with a few small oriental houses and a glass screen at the end to protect visitors from the weather. Later a bandstand, extensions to the pier head, a central Pavilion, a Concert Hall, tea room, restaurants, helter-skelter, dodgems, and a ghost train were added. It finally closed in 1975, fires burnt out much of the remaining pier in 2003 and storms have damaged it more since then. Redevelopment in this area is now focused around the i360.