The Volks Railway in Brighton was the first public electric railway in the world, and today is the oldest working electric railway. It runs along Marine Parade to the Black Rock Station, near the Marina. It was opened on 4 August 1883 by Magnus Volk. He was a local Brighton inventor and engineer, and the first person to install electricity in the city (in his own house). He also installed electric lighting into the Royal Pavilion . Magnus Volk ran his railway successfully for many years was before it was taken over by the council in 1940 following his death in 1937. It was closed during the Second World War but was restored and reopened in 1948.The railway is a tourist attraction and closes during the winter. The last train is usually at the end of September, and it reopens around Easter time. Trains run every day during the summer season, weather permitting.
The full journey from Aquarium Station to Black Rock Station takes around 12 minutes and covers 2km.The Railway is maintained by the city council. VERA (Volks Electric Railway Association) also assists in providing practical and promotional help. VERA is a local organisation open to anyone with an interest in the railway.