The name means ‘priest’s holding’ and it’s thought that there was a monastery on this site in the Middle Ages.
A manor was originally built about 1600, rebuilt in 1738 and then added to and altered in 1905. The Manor was bought by the Stanford family in 1794 and for 138 years was their family home. Ellen Thomas-Stanford came to live in the house in 1903 with her second husband Charles Thomas-Stanford. Ellen had the house altered and re-furnished in keeping with the fashion of rich people in Edwardian times. On their death 1932, the house and contents were left to the Corporation of Brighton (now Brighton & Hove City Council).
Preston Manor now is an opportunity to see an Edwardian home both ‘upstairs’ and ‘downstairs’. In the grounds there is an ‘old-fashioned’ walled garden and family pets’ graveyard. Next door is the mediaeval church of St Peter
Guided tours and Victorian role-play to school groups.