The Peace Statue stands on the border between Brighton and Hove and on the seafront leading into the Hove lawns. It is a 30ft winged angel of peace, standing on a globe representing the universe. In her right hand the angel holds an olive branch towards the sky and in her left, an orb, emblem of eternity. The pedestal that the statue is build upon shows a relief portrait of Kind Edward VII on its front panel, with the coat of Arms of both Brighton and Hove on its side panels. The statue was built as a memorial to King Edward VII, ‘The Peacemaker’, who during his last few years visited Brighton several times to recover from ill health.
The memorial cost £1000 to build and was unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk on 12th October, 1912. The Peace Status is a Grade II listed sculpture.