Indian Gate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Indian Gate it at the south exit to the Pavilion Gardens. It was unveiled in October 1921 by the Maharaja (King) of India as a gift from Indian to the people of  Brighton who had cared for inured Indian soldiers during the First World War.This was because during the First World War, 17 000 wounded Indian  soldiers were cared for in  the Royal Pavilion as it was turned into an Indian military hospital. York Place School (now Varndean) and BHASVIC also provided beds to Indian soldiers.

The city was referred to as “Doctor Brighton” by the Maharaja and from then on became renowned among hundreds of villages in India as a healer and health restorer.