The Clock Tower is a very well known landmark in the centre of Brighton at the crossroads of Queens Road, Dyke Road, West Street & North Street. As well as the four clock faces, each side also has a portrait. Queen Victoria, facing to the north, her husband, Prince Albert, facing to the south, her son, Edward Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) , facing east and his wife, Princess Alexandra, facing west.It was built to mark Queen Victoria‘s Golden Jubilee in 1887 . The time ball, built by Magnus Volk’s , was designed to rise up the mast and then fall down on the hour.
When Queen Victoria had been on the throne for sixty years many towns built something to mark the occasion. James Willing gave £2000 for the Clock Tower to be built in Brighton. The tower was finished on 20 January 1888. It has English Heritage Grade II listing for its architectural and historical importance.