The Chattri is on the South Downs, just north of Patcham. It was built in memory of the Indian soldiers who died in World War 1. The site of the memorial is significant as it was where 53 Sikh and Hindu soldiers were cremated before their ashes were scattered at sea.‘Chattri’ means umbrella which is seen in the circular design of the memorial. It was opened by the (then) Prince of Wales in 1921. It was designed by E. C Henriques from Mumbai and is made from white Sicilian marble. There are memorial services every year held at the Chattri. The Chattri is one of two memorials in Brighton for the Indian soldiers of the First World War. For information on the other one, see Indian Gate.