Brighton Museum & Art Gallery is owned by the City Council. It’s a free entry building -part of the “Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove”. The building was originally built for the Prince of Wales in 1805 but Brighton council bought the building in 1850. The museum and art gallery have been in this part of it since 1902 with a big upgrade of the museum and art gallery being finished 2002. Since 2015 an admission fee has been introduced but Brighton & Hove residents have free admission.