The Chain Pier was originally built in 1823 as a landing stage for boats which sailed to Dieppe in France but as many people just wanted to walk out onto the for the fresh air and the views of the town the owners added food and entertainment stalls.
Many storms damaged The Chain Pier until it was finally destroyed in December 1896. The remains of some of the pier’s foundations can still be seen at the times of very low tides.
More details from Brighton Museum.
Painting by John Constable 1824.
The Heritage Learning website and Teacher’s Guide provides information about school visits and details about places across the city that can be visited. It also has details about School Loan boxes for Brighton and Hove and how to book visits. The project is supported by Brighton & Hove Museums, Arts Council England and Brighton & Hove Council. The phone number for more information is 03000 290903.
The city has good rail links; with London less than an hour away and Gatwick airport 35 minutes away. Trains in Brighton and Hove are mostly operated by Southern Rail, but First Capital Connect, Gatwick Express, and First Great Western.
The Brighton Main Line, which runs from London to Brighton, was built in 1841. Some trains on this line now run up to 100 miles per hour
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ For information on planning your journey: timetables, fares.
For live departures click here
The Volks Railway in Brighton was the first public electric railway in the world, and today is the oldest working electric railway. It runs along Marine Parade to the Black Rock Station, near the Marina. It was opened on 4 August 1883 by Magnus Volk. He was a local Brighton inventor and engineer, and the first person to install electricity in the city (in his own house). He also installed electric lighting into the Royal Pavilion . Magnus Volk ran his railway successfully for many years was before it was taken over by the council in 1940 following his death in 1937. It was closed during the Second World War but was restored and reopened in 1948.The railway is a tourist attraction and closes during the winter. The last train is usually at the end of September, and it reopens around Easter time. Trains run every day during the summer season, weather permitting.
The full journey from Aquarium Station to Black Rock Station takes around 12 minutes and covers 2km.The Railway is maintained by the city council. VERA (Volks Electric Railway Association) also assists in providing practical and promotional help. VERA is a local organisation open to anyone with an interest in the railway.
Image from Seaford Museum
Brighton City (Shoreham) Airport is the oldest licensed airfield in the UK as it was founded in 1910.The Airport is privately owned and mostly used for light aircraft, helicopter flights, trips for business and sightseeing tours. A number of training schools also use the airport. It has one small terminal building, designed in the art deco style , which opened in 1936. The airport is usually open to the public with a Visitors Centre and a restaurant.
Brighton (Shoreham Airport)
Brighton (Shoreham Airport) Visitor Centre
Many buses in Brighton and Hove are named after famous people who had a particular connection to the city. Since 1999, every new Brighton and Hove bus has been named. Examples include John Nash (the architect who designed the Pavilion), Edward Booth (the taxidermist who founded the Booth Museum in Dyke Road) and the author Virginia Woolf who often visited and later lived in the Sussex area.
A full list of names along with the history and contribution of each person can be found here.
The Brighton Marina was built during the 1970′s. The huge concrete supports were made on the site and put in place by a giant crane which was also made on the site. The main parts of the structure were finished by 1977 and it was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in May 1979.
It’s now one of the largest leisure boat marinas in Europe. As well as the boating harbour there are houses, shops, restaurants, an hotel, a casino, a cinema and a gym. There are opportunities for sailing, boat trips, diving, fishing and bowling.
It covers an area of about 127 acres or 0.51 km
Brunswick Developments owns the Marina.
The RNLI operates a lifeboat from a new Station on the West Quay.
A Sea Jet service once ran from the Marina to Dieppe in France -it was between 1979 and 1980.
More information about Brighton Marina