The Chain Pier

The  Chain Pier was originally built in 1823 as a landing stage for boats which sailed to Dieppe in France but as many people just wanted to walk out onto the for the fresh air and the views of the town the owners added food and entertainment stalls.

 Many storms damaged The Chain Pier until it was finally destroyed in December 1896. The remains of some of the pier’s foundations can still be seen at the times of very low tides.

More details from Brighton Museum.

Painting by John Constable 1824.

1280px-John_Constable_024

 

Seagulls ( herring gulls )

1280px-Larus_argentatus01

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sight and sound of Herring Gulls are a real feature of living in Brighton & Hove. As they have no enemies in the animal world  their numbers are rising. They like living in the city as they can easily find food and they also like to building nests on rooftops.

 

http://www.thisbrighton.co.uk/culture-wildlife4.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19490866

Victorian Brighton

Victorian Brighton

It is worth noting that Brighton was well known as a  ‘seaside resort’  where people came just to enjoy the beach even  before Queen Victoria came to the throne.The town was already famous in the earlier Regency period because lots of people had followed the Prince Regent who came here in 1783. By the time  Queen Victoria came to the throne in 1837  the Royal Pavilion was already built and Brighton was well known  as a fashionable and fun place for the rich.

LINKS to be added here

Heritage Learning

Heritage-learning-logo

 

 

 

 

The Heritage Learning website and Teacher’s Guide  provides information about school visits and details about places across the city that can be visited. It also has details about School Loan boxes for Brighton and Hove and how to book visits. The project is supported by Brighton & Hove Museums, Arts Council England and Brighton & Hove Council. The phone number for more information is 03000 290903.

 

The Fishing Museum

fishingmuseum4

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Museum has a  27 foot  traditional Sussex fishing boat  as its centrepiece.When Brighton became a tourist town many of the fishermen began scrubbing down their boats (called punts)  after fishing and turn them into pleasure boats for visitors. In the Museum there are old films, photographs, paintings and memorabilia of Brighton seafront life. A new Gallery has items about the West Pier, Brighton Swimming Club and Punch and Judy.

Brighton Fishing Museum

 

Tourists

Tourism is one of the biggest industries in Brighton and Hove and one of the main reasons why the city has reached this size is due to its popularity as a holiday destination. Particularly well-trodden  tourist destinations include the Royal Pavilion, the Brighton Pier, the Sealife Centre, the Brighton Wheel, Volks Railway, Brighton Marina and Preston Manor to name but a few. Most tourists don’t hesitate to check out the North Laine and the Lanes area, as well as Brighton beach, where there are numerous shops selling touristy things like Brighton Rock or ‘I love Brighton’ merchandise. Brighton Pier is the fourth most visited leisure attraction in the UK. Brighton and Hove attracts around eight million visitors every year, including 6.5 million day trippers. Over 80% of tourists who visit the city are from the UK. The three most common nationalities of non-UK tourists are German, Dutch and American.

Visit Brighton

Tourism Alliance

Undercliff Walk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The The Undercliff Walk is 4.5km long  from the Marina to Saltdean. It is a white concrete walkway at the foot of the cliffs stretching from the Brighton Marina along the coast to Saltdean. The walk is open all year round, with breathtaking views of the sea on a clear day, or indeed a dramatic close up view of the waves on a stormy day. There are gaps in the cliffs at Ovingdean and Rottingdean where the Undercliff Walk can be reached by a set of steps.The Undercliff Walk was designed by borough engineer David Edwards, and opened in 1933. It was built as a solution to the damage that the sea was doing to the chalk cliffs through erosion. The Undercliff walk is  maintained by the Council. The cliffs themselves are covered with wire mesh to protect walkers from falling flints. Many birds can be found nesting in the white cliffs, commonly gulls and pigeons.

 

 

 

http://www.thisbrighton.co.uk/cultureundercliff.htm (The website itself is no longer maintained, but there is still plenty of useful information about the Undercliff walk, and many pictures)

i360

The Brighton i360 is a viewing tower on the seafront at the foot of the West Pier which opened in August 2016. The platform is the highest observation tower outside of London. In clear weather visitors can see over 25 miles in every direction.The tower was designed by Marks Barfield Architects, the creators of the London Eye.

 i360 Website

 

 

West Pier

Remains of West Pier


When it was built in 1866 the West Pier was 1115 feet long and made of cast iron columns threaded and screwed into the sea bed. It was then and still is a classic part of the Brighton and Hove landscape, and now the most photographed building in the city. It was originally made up of just a promenade with a few small oriental houses and a glass screen at the end to protect visitors from the weather. Later a bandstand, extensions to the pier head, a central Pavilion, a Concert Hall, tea room, restaurants, helter-skelter, dodgems, and a ghost train were added. It finally closed  in 1975, fires burnt out much of the remaining pier in  2003 and storms have damaged it more since then. Redevelopment in this area is now focused around the i360.

Further information:

West Pier Trust

Peace Statue

The Peace Statue stands on the border between Brighton and Hove and on the seafront leading into the Hove lawns. It is a 30ft winged angel of peace, standing on a globe representing the universe. In her right hand the angel holds an olive branch towards the sky and in her left, an orb, emblem of eternity. The pedestal that the statue is build upon shows a relief portrait of Kind Edward VII on its front panel, with the coat of Arms of both Brighton and Hove on its side panels. The statue was built as a memorial to King Edward VII, ‘The Peacemaker’, who during his last few years visited Brighton several times to recover from ill health.

The memorial cost £1000 to build and was unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk on 12th October, 1912. The Peace Status is a Grade II listed sculpture.

Source: publicsculpturesofsussex.co.uk