The Chain Pier was originally built in 1823 as a landing stage for boats which sailed to Dieppe in France but as many people just wanted to walk out onto the for the fresh air and the views of the town the owners added food and entertainment stalls.
Many storms damaged The Chain Pier until it was finally destroyed in December 1896. The remains of some of the pier’s foundations can still be seen at the times of very low tides.
More details from Brighton Museum.
Painting by John Constable 1824.
Now one of 25 registered racing tracks in the UK the original Brighton & Hove Greyhound Stadium opened in 1928. The dogs chase an artificial hare around the track and people bet which one will win. In 1976 the track was bought by a new company and many improvements were made. It is said to be as one of the fastest and safest racing tracks in the UK. The stadium was the home of a famous greyhound called Ballyregan Bob, who broke the world record for winning 32 races in a row.This track circumference is 455 metres. Distances raced are 285, 475, 515, 695 ,740, 930 and 970 metres.
The Brighton Wheel was in place near Brighton Pier on the seafront from 2011 until 2016. It was 45 metres (148 ft) in diameter and is 50 metres (160 ft) above sea level.There were 35 capsules which could carry up to six adults and two children.
The Brighton Dome is an arts venue that contains the Concert Hall, the Corn Exchange and the Studio Theatre (formerly the Pavilion Theatre). It was built between 1803 – 1808 for the Prince of Wales. Originally it was a stable (Concert Hall) and riding house (Corn Exchange) for his horses.When some people said that the horses had a better place than the Prince he began to plan the the Royal Pavilion as a better place for his guests.
The first pipe organ in the Dome’s Concert Hall was built in 1870 by the famous London firm of Henry Willis & Sons to a specification of forty-four stops spread over four manuals and pedals.
The Dome staged the Eurovision Song Contest on 6 April 1974, when ABBA won for Sweden with “Waterloo”.
Brighton Pier is one of the most popular visitor attractions in the city and the fourth most visited in the UK. It was opened in 1899 as the Palace Pier (as it still known, although renamed in 2000). There are fairground stalls ,carousels, rollercoasters and two amusement arcades.There are three bars and a restaurant Palm Court, which was named the ‘Spiritual Home of Fish and Chips’ by TV chef Heston Blumenthal. The Brighton Pier is a Grade II listed building
The pier was closed during the Second World War as it was feared it would be a target for enemy attack.Brighton Pier is open every day of the year except Christmas day, from 9am to midnight in the summer and from 10am to midnight in the winter. Admission is free.
FAQ’s about Brighton Pier
The Heritage Learning website and Teacher’s Guide provides information about school visits and details about places across the city that can be visited. It also has details about School Loan boxes for Brighton and Hove and how to book visits. The project is supported by Brighton & Hove Museums, Arts Council England and Brighton & Hove Council. The phone number for more information is 03000 290903.
Tourism is one of the biggest industries in Brighton and Hove and one of the main reasons why the city has reached this size is due to its popularity as a holiday destination. Particularly well-trodden tourist destinations include the Royal Pavilion, the Brighton Pier, the Sealife Centre, the Brighton Wheel, Volks Railway, Brighton Marina and Preston Manor to name but a few. Most tourists don’t hesitate to check out the North Laine and the Lanes area, as well as Brighton beach, where there are numerous shops selling touristy things like Brighton Rock or ‘I love Brighton’ merchandise. Brighton Pier is the fourth most visited leisure attraction in the UK. Brighton and Hove attracts around eight million visitors every year, including 6.5 million day trippers. Over 80% of tourists who visit the city are from the UK. The three most common nationalities of non-UK tourists are German, Dutch and American.
The The Undercliff Walk is 4.5km long from the Marina to Saltdean. It is a white concrete walkway at the foot of the cliffs stretching from the Brighton Marina along the coast to Saltdean. The walk is open all year round, with breathtaking views of the sea on a clear day, or indeed a dramatic close up view of the waves on a stormy day. There are gaps in the cliffs at Ovingdean and Rottingdean where the Undercliff Walk can be reached by a set of steps.The Undercliff Walk was designed by borough engineer David Edwards, and opened in 1933. It was built as a solution to the damage that the sea was doing to the chalk cliffs through erosion. The Undercliff walk is maintained by the Council. The cliffs themselves are covered with wire mesh to protect walkers from falling flints. Many birds can be found nesting in the white cliffs, commonly gulls and pigeons.
http://www.thisbrighton.co.uk/cultureundercliff.htm (The website itself is no longer maintained, but there is still plenty of useful information about the Undercliff walk, and many pictures)
Brighton and Hove Albion known as ‘The Albion’ or ‘The Seagulls’ are the main football club based in Brighton and Hove.
The club was founded in 1901 and used to be nicknamed ‘The Dolphins’.
They were originally based in the Goldstone Ground, then used the Withdean Stadium and moved to the Falmer (Amex) Stadium in May 2011.
Official Albion Website
Falmer (Amex) Stadium
Albion in the Community
Churchill Square is an indoor shopping mall. It has a wide variety of high street shops, a food court, and several smaller stalls. Churchill Square was named in honour of Winston Churchill and has been a shopping area since the 1960′s. It was fully redesigned for its new opening in 1998. Churchill Square is very near many buses stops ,there are two multi-storey car parks and it’s about a short walk from Brighton Station.
A weekly farmers market operates outside Churchill Square every Wednesday, selling local produce. Around Christmas time there are many seasonal stalls.
In the shopping mall itself there are over 80 stores, cafes and restaurants. Churchill Square has 1600 car parking spaces; It is a key stop on many local bus routes and is around ten minutes walk away from Brighton train station. Recent figures show that the area has over 12.4 million visitors per year and over 500.000 square feet of retail space