The Fingermaze: Hove Park taken in 2009
This maze in Hove Park and is based on a giant’s fingerprint. It was designed by Chris Drury in 2006, when Brighton & Hove Arts Commission launched an Urban Cultural programme.’Fingermaze’ is made with York flagstone and lime mortar and was meant to weather and fade over time and is more blurred over time.
An education resource pack is avaiable e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brighton Museum & Art Gallery is owned by the City Council. It’s a free entry building -part of the “Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove”. The building was originally built for the Prince of Wales in 1805 but Brighton council bought the building in 1850. The museum and art gallery have been in this part of it since 1902 with a big upgrade of the museum and art gallery being finished 2002. Since 2015 an admission fee has been introduced but Brighton & Hove residents have free admission.
The Brighton Dome is an arts venue that contains the Concert Hall, the Corn Exchange and the Studio Theatre (formerly the Pavilion Theatre). It was built between 1803 – 1808 for the Prince of Wales. Originally it was a stable (Concert Hall) and riding house (Corn Exchange) for his horses.When some people said that the horses had a better place than the Prince he began to plan the the Royal Pavilion as a better place for his guests.
The first pipe organ in the Dome’s Concert Hall was built in 1870 by the famous London firm of Henry Willis & Sons to a specification of forty-four stops spread over four manuals and pedals.
The Dome staged the Eurovision Song Contest on 6 April 1974, when ABBA won for Sweden with “Waterloo”.
Did you know?
The Royal Pavilion is a former royal palace , started in 1787, and built as a seaside home for George, Prince of Wales, who became the Prince Regent in 1811.
Facts & Figures
After the death of George IV in 1830, King William IV also stayed in the Pavilion on his visits to Brighton. Queen Victoria disliked Brighton and the lack of privacy and her last visit to Brighton was in 1845. The Government planned to sell the building and grounds but The Brighton Commissioners and the Brighton Vestry asked if the town could buy the Pavilion and so it was sold to the town for £53,000 in 1850.
The Heritage Learning website and Teacher’s Guide provides information about school visits and details about places across the city that can be visited. It also has details about School Loan boxes for Brighton and Hove and how to book visits. The project is supported by Brighton & Hove Museums, Arts Council England and Brighton & Hove Council. The phone number for more information is 03000 290903.
The Peace Statue stands on the border between Brighton and Hove and on the seafront leading into the Hove lawns. It is a 30ft winged angel of peace, standing on a globe representing the universe. In her right hand the angel holds an olive branch towards the sky and in her left, an orb, emblem of eternity. The pedestal that the statue is build upon shows a relief portrait of Kind Edward VII on its front panel, with the coat of Arms of both Brighton and Hove on its side panels. The statue was built as a memorial to King Edward VII, ‘The Peacemaker’, who during his last few years visited Brighton several times to recover from ill health.
The memorial cost £1000 to build and was unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk on 12th October, 1912. The Peace Status is a Grade II listed sculpture.